What is Acupuncture?
Spinal or para-vertabral acupuncture therapy uses the central nervous system to treat the whole body; it can be used to help reduce inflammation, hypersensitivity, pain, muscular spasms and aches. It can also activate and strengthen the functioning of the internal organs.
Specific spinal nerves control organs and can be regulated to bring about changes to the whole body which stimulates internal harmony and well being and relief or cure a variety of symptoms and conditions. There are 34 para-vertebral points used in spinal acupuncture.Book an appointment
SOME OF THE CONDITIONS TREATED:
- Breast discomfort
- Coeliac disease
- Cold/Numb extremities
- Crohn’s disease
- Indigestion/Gastric Ulcers
- Intercostal Neuralgia
- Lowered Immunity
- Lumbago/Lumbar Pain
- Menstrual/Urinary Tract Pain
- Muscular Pain
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Neck Pain/Headaches
Things to know
The treatment will be for 45 mins. Needles are placed in the para-spinal region and may also incorporate other traditional Chinese points.
The needles are then manipulated to initiate waves of Qi.
Needles and surrounding areas will then be heated with an infrared heat lamp. Once the needles are taken out the paraspinal muscles will be massaged.
Patients may feel stiffness or aches for 1 to 2 days following treatment but will feel significantly better after day 3.
Some patients may feel symptoms are relieved directly after treatment but return a few days later, this shows the treatment is beginning to work and more treatments are needed.
Feeling very relaxed or tired after treatment is very common.
What to Expect
Before Your Initial Acupuncture treatment
Before your first acupuncture session there are several things you should bear in mind:
- During your treatment you may need to remove items of clothing to get to bare skin. You may wish to have a friend or member of your family attend your treatment with you.
- Try not to go for treatment on an empty stomach or straight after a heavy meal
- Do let your practitioner know if you are completely new to acupuncture so they can take extra time to explain what happens and ensure you are comfortable with the process.
An Initial Consultation will last for 1 hour. During this time the Practitioner will take an extensive history surrounding your complaint and concerns. A treatment plan will be devised from the your answers and initial examination.
Treatment will consist of needles of certain lengths being placed in points along the spine and para spinal muscles, traditional Chinese medicine points along with myofacial triggering/Korean hand acupuncture points may also be used if the Practitioner feels these would be of benefit.
A heat lamp may be used to heat up the needles and surrounding muscles. The needles are removed and the muscles are then given a deep massage.
All information is treated as confidential and all treatments are undertaken in line with the Acupuncture Society Code of Ethics. Paul is also a qualified Paramedic and adheres to the rules set out by the HCPC to maintain his Registration.
After Your Consultation
You should refrain from vigorous exercise after treatment and, ideally, give yourself a little time to rest. It is also advisable not to drink alcohol for several hours after treatment.
Acupuncture has very few side effects and any that do occur are usually mild and self-correcting:
- The area needled may feel sore for 1 to 2 days following treatment but will feel significantly better by day 3.
- Some patients may feel symptoms are relieved directly after treatment but return a few days later, this shows the treatment is beginning to work and more treatments are needed.
- Feeling very calm and relaxed or tired after treatment is very common. You may feel a little tired and light headed and should take this into account if you are planning to drive or use heavy machinery straight after your treatment.
Follow Up Consultations
Follow up appointments usually last for 45 minutes and these should ideally be once a week for three weeks, then every 4 to 6 weeks to maintain benefit, or sooner if the client feels they need to.Book an appointment